Caving in Jamaica – Locations, Guides and Tour Operators
Jamaica has literally dozens and dozens of caves worth exploring, some are accessible by tourists, while others are for serious spelunkers. Many offer the opportunity for bat viewing. Be safe and sure when visiting Jamaica – Have a local show you the best caves on the island. Local Tour Operators are listed below.
The best locations for caving in Jamaica are as follows:
For tourists looking to get out of sun with a cool cave tour:
- Green Grotto Caves is located on Jamaica’s north coast between Falmouth and Ocho Rios. Tours take about an hour, where you’ll experience passageways and chambers close to 130 feet (40m) below the earth’s surface.
- The feature attraction is the ‘grotto’ itself – A huge limestone cave with stalactites, stalagmites, as well as a large subterranean body of water.
- Roaring River Cave is located between Negril and Montego
- Cement stairs take you by the fast moving Roaring River and up to the entrance to the Cave. This place is off the beaten track and uncrowded.
- Two Sisters Cave is a 1/2 hour drive south-west of Kingston
- There are two caves, each with a large sink hole filled with fresh water. These caves are connected underground to a myriad of caverns extending in all directions. One cave contains a petroglyph carving of a face which is about several hundred years old.
- Mountain River Cave is about an hour west of Kingston
- A mile long trail takes you to the cave, which is about 30 feet deep. Hundreds of ancient pictographs can be seen on the cave walls, along with a few petroglyphs.
- Nonsuch Cave is about 15 minutes south of Port Antonio – Currently closed
For a Jamaican Caving experience, these local Tour Operators will take good care of you (Click on a Tour Operator name below for more details):
El Sol Vida Fun Tours (From Negril, Montego Bay, Falmouth, Runaway Bay, Ocho Rios and Port Antonio)
- Green Grotto Caves Excursion
- River Tubing and Green Grotto Caves Adventure Tour (From Falmouth)
Budget Tours Jamaica (From Negril, Lucea, Montego Bay, Runaway Bay and Ocho Rios)
- Jamaica Cultural Roots (Village, Roaring River Cave, Mineral Pool, Mayfield Falls) with Lunch
Tourwise (From Lucea, Montego Bay, Falmouth, Runaway Bay and Ocho Rios)
- Green Grotto Caves
CCS Tours (From Montego Bay)
- Green Grotto Caves and Scotchie’s Jerk Centre
Barrett Adventures (From Ocho Rios)
- Green Grotto and the Ultimate Jerk Centre
Jamaica National Heritage Trust (From Kingston)
- Guided Tours of the Mountain River Cave
Genius Reggae Jamaica Tours (From Falmouth, Runaway Bay and Ocho Rios)
- Green Grotto Caves
Sunshine Watersport & Tours (From Ocho Rios)
- Green Grotto Caves
For a more adventurous caving / spelunking experience in Jamaica, visit:
- Cockpit Country, south-east of Montego Bay, is home to hundreds of rivers, streams and caves that provide some of the best spelunking opportunities in the Caribbean. There are hundreds of caves in the area, including:
- Windsor Caves
- Smokey Hole Cave, which at 630 feet (193m) deep is the deepest on the island
- Rock Spring Cave
- Quashie River Sink is huge…
- Cave Valley in the centre of the island. There you’ll find a river that travels both under and above the ground, appearing and disappearing as it meanders through the valley
- Major attractions include the “Noisy Water” River Cave and “Rat Bat Hole”.
If you’re serious about spelunking in Jamaica, please be sure to be properly equipped with the appropriate safety gear and bring/drink lots of water – For more information, check out Jamaican Caves…
For a more adventurous Jamaican Caving experience, these local Tour Operators will take good care of you (Click on a Tour Operator name below for more details):
- Windsor Caves (From Montego Bay)
- Green Grotto and the Ultimate Jerk Centre (From Ocho Rios)
- Cockpit Country Caving Adventure (From Ocho Rios)
Cockpit Country Adventure Tours [SUST-ECO]
- Rock Spring Cave (with optional Lunch for groups > 15 people)
- The wide cavern cave is well networked allowing cavers to do a loop trail through the facility. You see stalactites Stalagmites, bacon ram and other amazing white limestone formations architecturally carved into the underground. The cave facility allows the excursion to be upgraded from a medium impact experience to a high impact experience to accommodate the full range of adventure seekers. You get wet and messed up so a change of clothing is a requirement. You relax on the banks of the mouth river after the excursion to acclimatize.
Note: [SUST-ECO] signifies “Sustainable Eco-Tourism” as defined in our Sustainability page
Back to the Jamaica Vacations
Back to the Caribbean Adventure Experiences
Back to the Home page